Friday, January 21, 2011

BAKTI, A Place For The Other Side of Myself

This morning I was in a place called BAKTI, one of the centers of knowledge in my town. This is my favorite place if I want to spend my leisure time or if I want to be alone. Probably not many people know about this place. Every time they asked me where or from where am I, and I mention the name of this place, they would ask, “BAKTI, what is that?” Though this place has been standing for a long time, since I was in junior high school until now I’m in third year in my college I’ve often visited this place.

When people, mostly my friends ask what this place, then I’ll explain. “It’s the center of knowledge. In that place there’s a library, meeting rooms, and wi-fi internet facility. Everything’s free, you don’t have to pay for the facilities”. Then they simply said, “Oh, I just know there’s a place like that”. That’s it.

Okay, maybe if you come to this place for the first time this place seems so boring. The people who come here are mostly activists, college students who’re looking for literatures for thesis, or the people who’re busy with their own business. It impressed individualist. Library? Don’t imagine that you’ll find a comic, novel, or teenlit. There’re just heavy books, literatures that’s usually required in doing thesis. The books’re also mostly in English. Or don’t imagine you can  find a tabloid or magazine for music or infotainment. In this place you’ll find something like Jakarta Pos or National Geography.  It’s not a cafĂ© or hangout place that usually visited by young people to hanging out. So they may feel bored to be here.

So why I feel so comfortable to be here?

Lots of reasons. In addition to the employees who’re very friendly to me, and many positive things I can get when  visiting here. In this place I can go online with my laptop all day long without having to pay. I also can meet with many activists from other countries, talk and get much information from them while practicing my English and Dutch. I can also read as much recent National Geography which indeed is my favorite magazine all over the world. Anything else? Yes, in here there’re many scholarship information that has been less people know, something that I looking for my future later on. Lastly, the coffee in the cafeteria is delicious!

So, eventhough there’re many other places in this town that may be more interesting to be a place for hanging out with friends, this is still my favorite place if I want to be alone. Even I’ve rarely come here lately because I was so busy, but I had a spare time I tried to go here. And does this mean I’m a nerd and introvert person? Well,no. This is just a reflection of my other self and I think this is better than just spending my time with nothing to do. At least, being a fussy person and like traveling doesn’t mean I can’t try to be smarter, right?

PS: Sorry, there's no picture for this post. I forget to bring my camera. But if you want to know further information about BAKTI, you can visit the site.

0 comment:

Post a Comment