Monday, January 24, 2011

It's Not About The Destination, But The Journey



December 22, 2010, 10:53 pm

In the next few hours I'lll go to Batam, one of the city in Riau Islands Province, for a vacation. I also have plans to celebrate the new year in Singapore and also on vacation for a few days in Malaysia. This holiday as a personal gift for myself. How to deal with college, part-time job as a tutor, my decision to cancel the internship offer from Krakatau Steel as they're not in accordance with the plan of research that I want, all made me stressful and really wasted my time for refreshing. So, this vacation is the best gift after all the struggles I face in this busiest year.

This holiday was different than my previous visit to Malaysia and Singapore. Okay, I've been to Singapore for 3 times, and Malaysia for 2 times. But the vacation this time was different because I will celebrate the new year in Singapore, the first time I celebrate the new year abroad. In addition, the cause of this vacation was different because this time I was on vacation with backpacker style who were armed only with a backpack, and unlike previous vacations that I always under supervision of my parents, this time I was on holiday alone with my brother. It's sounds like a novel title, Honeymoon With My Brother. Wow, what an adventure!

It's lucky that I was born in the family that most of his hobby of traveling and make it as a "part-time job. " When there is a holiday, that's when we travel. There're many destinations, from just across districts to traveling around Europe. That's not a problem, provided your age is 20 years and could be in charge of traveling alone. Because I was already 20 years old, then it could be said this is my first trip as a backpacker.

Previously I've been on vacation to some place. Besides Malaysia and Singapore, I've been to Davao, Philippines, when I graduated from junior high school, and Sidney, Australia, when I graduated from senior high school. In Indonesia, I've been around the island of Java for 3 times, and to the island of Bali. Each of these places provide a different experience for me.

For example, Davao. Davao city is not famous in the world, but in the Philippines, the city was known as the durian city. Unfortunately, I was dating at the moment there is durian season and I really don't like the smell of durian. Finally I had passed out while being there because I couldn't smell the stinging of durian.

Another experience when I was in Sydney. Different time zones and the circulation cycle of the sun which also caused me felt a little different  disoriented with time beside the jet lag. If in Indonesia at 19.00 it was night, there was still brightly there. 21:00 hours at night when the streets has begun to slow in Indonesia, it felt like before sunset. It's difference, right?

So, what about Malaysia and Singapore? Perhaps people are bored by visiting the same country many times, and even tend to waste money. Why don't travel in another country? Well, in addition I don't have enough money for other countries, no matter if I'm on vacation again to that country. It's different, celebrate the new year as a backpacker, not the same as my previous visit. So it's no problem for me, like the title of this note, it's not about the destination, but the journey.

Because that experience so I aspire to be a backpacker. My goals are around the world, take pictures with the background of 7 wonders of the world (I already have 1, Borobudur!), visit exotic places like Angkor Wat or India, to the Papua New Guinea to see the culture that is still primitive. Not the wealth and treasure that I want to have in the future, a collection of photos, stories and experiences about a variety of life around the world that I can share for the people shall be my precious treasure that is not necessarily other people can have such as jewelry or a luxury home . Traveling is as young, and gather experience while you can.

So, there is no other reason for not traveling, right? Let go!


PS: Copy paste dari note saya di facebook. I know it's too late to post in blog, but it still interesting to read :)

0 comment:

Post a Comment