Thursday, January 20, 2011

Talking About Talent


I had a conversation with my friends a few days ago. Not a serious conversation, only a small talk on the sidelines of lunch. The conversation was about talent.

What is your talent? What is your expertise? Since when did you realize have a talent? In fact, many of my friends are talented in various fields. There is Misha, who can play guitar. There is Welly, who can draw, even he'd often drew for me in our first year in college . Or Ecil, my friend whose voice is really good if singing, and many other friends with their own different talents.

Suddenly, a friend of mine asked me, "Jenny, I think you're good in writing. Once your poems and articles was published in many magazines girl, right? And you've often win the speech and article contests. It was also a talent, you know ... ". Wow, her question is made me realize two things. First, it showed that I was also a talented person. Second, unfortunately i never improve my talent anymore and it eventually disappear. Even worse, now I look like someone who is not gifted in terms of writing.

My friend's question kept ringing in my head. Back to home, I casually opened the files on my old laptop. Yes, obviously I've written many articles and poetry when i was in high school. Still not satisfied, I then opened the old magazines in which my articles have been published. I then read them all again. Well, i can't imagine that all those beautiful words ever flowed out of my brain and I've wrote it all, even appeared in national magazines and won the contests. The question now, where is my talent now? Why I don't have the inspiration and the ability to write now? Are my articles still good for people to read?

Yes, when I was in high school I really like to writing. Many things can give me the inspirations to write on. However, since I was in college I became very busy. Many of my duties and activities on campus made I don't have any time to write. Finally, talent and all the inspiration it buried with all my activities as a busy student and tutor at the same time.

Idly I've uploaded one of my poems in Facebook and tagged to some of my friends. I do not think, they all praised it. They do not think it turned out I had a talent for writing as they read. My confidence began to return.


Finally, at division meeting this afternoon. When I met my friend who had read my poem on Facebook, she said that she really liked reading it, she even gave me the spirit to re-write the same way again. "Come on Jen, write again. Your poem is good, do not let that talent go away. " Wow, her words really encouraged me.

Now, I've decided. I'll be back writing again. Back pouring all my ideas and thoughts, whether in the form of poetry or just a mild article. Learning to write from begin, actually. But never mind, I can learn to improve this talent who had lost it. The important thing is I didn't lose my talent. Talent is a gift from God, and I don't want to lose such talent for the second time.

For kak Tika and all my friends who already inspires and supports me, thanks a lot. Now, I found my spirit back ...

0 comment:

Post a Comment