Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Television Isn't Bad At All

I'm not the type of person who likes to spend the time by watching TV. Most of my spare time is spent by reading books, listening to music, or with internet, writing on my blog. Even if I watch, I just watch DVDs on my laptop. Since I have a part-time job as a tutor and go home at 10 pm almost every day, I don’t have any time (and probably, no sense) to watch TV. I'd rather be in my room, doing other things that I like.

At my home in Makassar, there’re 11 national channels and 3 local channels. My mother and sister spend almost of their time with TV, I don’t know why they could be stand still like that. And now I’m in Sorowako, where there’s a cable TV with 41 national and international channels. I spend most of my time at home by sitting in the living room with friends who watched, and even, scramble channels they want to watch. Yeah, I was there, but I don’t really watch. I would rather concentrate on the laptop, internet, and my reading, to extent it sounded like "I don’t watch TV, TV watches me".

Okay, the reason why Im less interested in watching TV is most of national TV show less qualified. For most people might be watch Opera Van Java or infotainment is interesting thing, but I still couldn’t find the interesting point. Starting from the soap operas that each episode showed scenes of weeping tears, comedy shows with not environmentally friendly (using lots of cork for property then destroyed it at the end of the show), until infotainment which doesn’t stop showing news about Krisdayanti’s pregnancy, unmarried pregnancy. I mean, oh come on... Is it the best that media can give to us? Even my Indian friend, Shivaji, said: "Why people look so interest with Norman. He just lipsync, try dancing Indian, upload it on You Tube, and finally be famous. That's it. Nothing interest at all”.

And what about the show for kids? Oh, sometimes it worse. The fact is my little sister, 10 years old, spend her time to watch soap operas and infotainment, too mature for young generation, huh? I still remember how I spent my childhood tim, watching the kid shows Sailormoon, Tralala Trilili, or Amigos. And look what TV showed today. Blah.

But hey, it still good. At least I can still find quality shows and educational. On The Spot, increase our knowledge with ‘7 facts…’. Celebrity on Vacation, watching them traveling around the world improve my obsession to be a backpacker someday. And last but not least, the National Geographic Channel. It’ll always be my favorite, how I grew up with knowledge from the channel and magazine, until today. It felt like I’ve travel around the world from what I watch and read. Maybe this isn’t directly affecting me, to go travel and see the whole world. And I love the way it happens.

Well, maybe television isn’t bad at all. I still have my favorite shows. And maybe I should have my favorite radio show, too… :)

0 comment:

Post a Comment